Day 18

Today was a wonderful career seminar. After waking up at o-dark-early to take my parents to the airport, I went to campus for my six-hour Saturday class. I was exhausted to begin with, and waking up extra early did not help much for the focus I had left to direct towards the lecture.

I actually took good notes through the 2 hours guest presentation we had. I took a full three pages; that length of notes is very unprecedented, if you know me. I then managed to keep my focus for another hour and a half and took notes up until we took a nice long break.

It was that very break, though, that destroyed my mental capacity to absorb new material. I sat down and we still had another two hours. Unfortunately for me, though, I had just gotten comfortable when the professor said, "Have a good weekend and I'll see you next time."

I had missed the last third of the class.

Completely spaced it out and didn't notice the professor was even talking!

I managed to pull myself together enough after that shocker, though, to focus on the two-hour career workshop we had. I'm glad I did, too. Apparently it's a $250 seminar that I got for free. Talk about cost savings!

I got a lot out of the presentation. I'm meeting with the career coach later this week so that I can continue to improve my resume. I have little to no job experience, so he told me to be "creative" with the way I describe the positions I have had. His example: He worked for 20 years as the minister of a church. On his resume, he lists 20 years of experience as the "executive of a non-profit organization."

It's completely truthful, but puts his actual experience at the forefront of the human resources representative rather than the stereotypes typically associated with the word "minister." I just wonder how much I can do with the part-time jobs I've had.

I've still got a while before I graduate to figure it out.

Day 18 of 100 - Summary: Six hours of lecture on four hours of sleep is a bad idea.

No comments: