Day 20

I realized today why I like root beer so much. It's creamy, sweet, and has a nice and warm filling aftereffect. It's very much like real beer, only without the alcohol content and the social rejection you'd receive if seen drinking in public at ten o'clock in the morning.

I've found two particular brands of root beer that I enjoy the most. One is a privately crafted brand that is sold only on tap at certain area restaurants. I like it because of its smoothness and the warm honey flavor it possesses. The other one is a national bottled brand that I've heard a lot about but never tried until this year. I like the bottled one because it actually tastes a lot like my favorite dark microbrew. Once again, though, without the alcohol.

I had a bottle of it in the coffee shop while I waited for a friend to show up. It was entertaining because the bottle looks so much like beer that several people had to take second glances. I just sat in the finely upholstered chair enjoying my root beer and playing solitaire on my palm pilot to pass the time away.

My friend showed up and we had our regular study session. When we started meeting at lunch time to study it was at the pub down the street. That seemed to be relatively unproductive because of a) the atmosphere and b) happy hour. We elected unanimously to move to the coffee shop after the first week. The beverages here are somewhat more contributory to a study session and don't result in missed lectures afterwards.

We studied for about an hour, discussing everything from last week's lectures to next week's impending essay projects. Then we parted ways and I went home. I actually don't have class on Mondays and I make the trip downtown only for my friend's sake. I figure he'll owe me enough in the future to pay me back with one big favor. Spending my day off on his study session is my way to guarantee limitless payback when the time comes.

For now, though, I'll settle for being able to pick up root beer on my way home from the place that has the cheapest prices in town. It just so happens that the coffee shop is right next door and Monday is the only day I have an excuse to be over there.

Another week, another six pack.

Day 20 of 100 - Summary: Everyone has ulterior motives; even me.

No comments: