Day 22

I tried to learn how to pick locks today. In reality, I already know how to do so, but I thought I'd use MeBox to freshen up my skills a bit. Who knew they'd have so many videos about a border-line illegal art form online?

This desire to get past locked doors came from the fact that my roommate put a lock on his door. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. However, I run the wireless network we have in our apartment and needed to get to his computer to change some settings (we were running an open network and the guys in the apartment above us are stealing our Internet). He keeps his door locked whenever he's gone, though, and won't let me near his computer when he's here.

So I tried using paper clips first, but that proved to be a fruitless use of three hours leading to very sore hands. Next I tried street sweeper bristles, but those were also ineffective because they weren't shaped correctly. Then I tried a technique I found online called "bumping." It involved time with a file modifying another key I had. Like the other methods, though, I once again got nowhere.

I was about to give up when I noticed a draft coming from under his door. Leave it to my roommate to put a lock on his door and then leave his window open. We live on the ground floor, too.

So I hopped through his open window and changed the settings on his computer. Now he can do whatever it is he does in private without having to worry about our neighbors looking at the same thing he's downloading.

I don't think he'll even notice I was in his room, either.

Now that I have access to his room, though, I can't resist just popping in to read or surf on his computer when he's gone. There's no reason in particular when I do it, I just think it's fun to bypass his security.

The ironic thing is I wouldn't have tried to get in his room had he not locked it.

Day 22 of 100 - Summary: A locked door is more inviting to trespassers than one without a lock at all.

No comments: