Day 11

I had both been looking forward to and dreading today all week. I had a new class that I was not really excited before, had an ominous dream on Monday about the day's events, but knew I would get to see my girlfriend before I went to bed. Fortunately, the third item both outweighed and out glorified the other two and my day ended up rather well. Or at least it did after I finally got to my girlfriend's place.

I had to get up early to accomodate the ungodly meeting time for my law class. Saturday classes are evil enough on their own, but whoever decided to make them meet at 9am must've been poker friends with Satan. I woke up shortly before my brother went up to the mountain to go snowboarding and wished him a safe trip on my way to the cereal closet to find my Cocoa Puffs. He had to leave earlier than I did, but he got to go do something fun, not listen to a 6-hour law lecture.

After breakfast I packed up everything I needed for class in my new messenger bag - which I got for Christmas. Thanks Mom! - and packed up a few changes of clothes in the other one. I grabbed both bags and my climbing gear and threw them all into the back of my car so I could drive to campus. I normally take the train, but I wanted to leave to my girlfriend's place straight from class so I had to park close.

The trip to school was fine, and I found my usual back-row seat near the power plugs so I could keep my laptop on for 6 consecutive hours. I'm not the kind of person who surfs during class, though. I actually take notes with my computer. If you don't believe me, I'd be happy to email you the several pages I've taken thus far this year.

The class was about as dry as I had expected, but not really that bad. I think the combination of "Saturday" and "early morning" dried out the subject material. The professor was engaging and I was actually interested, I just couldn't seem to focus. My computer now has 4 pages of typed, single-spaced notes, though (in case you don't believe I paid attention).

The trip to my girlfriend's house was the next issue I had problems with. Sometime last Sunday night I had a dream about the end of the world that involved this particular trip. I kind of summarized it on Day 7, but it's a highly abridged description as I'm turning the dream into a story at the moment. I was just worried because the vivid dreams I have sometimes turn out coming true. Luckily, this one didn't. I never really wanted to be turned into a chipmunk anyway, so I'm glad it didn't pan out.

After I got there, we went straight to the rock gym to see how long I could hang like a monkey before I lost the ability to flip light switches. My girlfriend is a far better climber than Peter, the guy I went climbing with yesterday, is. It was refreshing to watch someone with that much natural talent move on the wall. Even the grunts she made when she lunged for challenging holds seemed graceful.

Now I'm sitting back at her apartment while she watches some strange sit-com with her expanded basic cable (what an oxymoron!) and I'm trying fervently to ignore it. It's getting late and my brain can use the rest. Who knows what end-of-the-world dreams a day of law class with a dessert of rock climbing will bring?

My only concern is whether or not chipmunks like Brazil nuts.

They're my favorites and I'd hate for that to change.

Day 11 of 100 - Summary: One pro can outweigh hundreds of cons.

No comments: