Day 13

Thirteen. Wonderful lucky number thirteen. Who could have predicted that today would have been day number thirteen? I know that when I woke up this morning I had no idea the day would turn out this way.

Now I have you roped in, you see. Most people think of thirteen as an unlucky number, but Day 13 was very lucky for me. I woke up late, watched some television with my girlfriend, went shopping at the local market, and then made my way towards home so I could get some work done before sundown. I can never seem to get any work done at her place.

I hit out on the freeway around noon. I had a meeting later that afternoon with some prospective clients. I wanted to make it back in time to read a couple of job-related articles before they interviewed me for the job, though. Long story short, I made it with an hour to spare and read through the materials twice. Now, I have high-paying clients through June. Hopefully the bills will stay paid now and I can keep my late-night cable television.

The real excitement was on the way back to my place. I once again hit the freeway, and then was in a terrible car accident. Before I get started with details, though, I'm perfectly OK.

I was following a dump truck down the freeway when the car in front of him lost control and plowed into the guard rail on the right-hand side. Neither I nor the truck in front of me had time to stop. The truck rolled over top of the car and I ended up wedged under his rear bumper. Then the back of the dump truck sprung open and dropped a huge load of fresh asphalt all over my car.

I sat still, frozen, not knowing what to do. I could still see out the back windows, but I couldn't force any of my car doors open. The asphalt was steaming, and I had to breath through my sweatshirt until the fire trucks arrived. They broke my rear window and hauled me out over the new expressway that was my car.

I was perfectly OK, as was the driver of the dump truck. The guy who had lost control in front of us was fine too, despite the DUII he got at 3:30 in the afternoon. There was no one in front of him, but he hallucinated and swerved to hit what he swore was an elephant in the middle of the freeway.

Needless to say, my car is toast.

But the guy in the front car is some sort of millionaire and he bought me a corvette as a replacement so I don't sue him.

Day 13 of 100 - Summary: Who said thirteen was unlucky?

No comments: