Day 14

When it rains, it pours. Now if only there were a similar saying for snow.

I woke up this morning to a completely white front yard. This was not too much of an issue because I was sure the 2 feet of snow on the ground would mean a definite closure of campus today. Just to make sure, though, I pulled up the school's website to check. Nothing. No information or even a suggestion that school was closed.

So I turned on the news. Every public school in the area was closed; except for my wonderful public university. I pulled out my cell phone to call the school's office. The only information was about the closure yesterday for the national holiday. I decided then that it was time to stop standing nude in my apartment and start getting ready for the classes I knew no one would be at.

I ate a filling breakfast of my usual Cocoa Puffs and kept checking the news channel for a change in the report. When nothing had happened as of 8:10AM, I got in my new corvette (see yesterday's post) and headed towards the train station.

There were cars spun out on both sides of the road, but my extra-wide snow tires helped me get to the train station entirely without incident. That, and the 20 MPH I was forced to go by the SUVs in front of me. I waited at the train station and then descended into town towards my awaiting classrooms.

I reached downtown just fine and began my trek up the hill to campus. Surprisingly, none of the buses in the public transit fleet were using chains. There was one bus stuck at the bottom of the hill and another with its wheels chocked about halfway up. It was parked next to a curious line of dented and damaged parked cars, all missing their driver's side mirrors. I wonder if it was purely coincidence.

I made it all the way to campus and headed upstairs in my program building to check on my class. As I walked past unlit classrooms and closed office doors, though, I realized the joke was on me. There was a note on the door: "All university classes, meetings, and activities cancelled due to weather." The note was marked "8:15am."

I worked my way all the way to campus only to find out that had I waited another five minutes I could have saved myself a trip and gone back to bed.

At least snow is pretty.

Day 14 of 100 - Summary: If you think you've waited long enough, just give it another 5 minutes.

No comments: