Day 31

To those who said I wouldn't even make a week I say: "neener, neener, nee-eener!"

Today was a typical Friday for me: frustrating and boring at the same time. I have a class where I'm not allowed to use my computer but am forced instead to use a regular old pencil and paper for note taking. I know there are those of you rolling your eyes at me this very moment, but listen to my point. I do the readings before class like I'm supposed to, but the lecture is directed at a class assumed to have not done the reading. Therefore, the first hour or so tends to be a recap of the material I already know, followed by a discussion of said material when I was required to already write a 1000-word essay discussing the material.

So I get bored rather quickly.

My computer would serve to allow me to use my time more productively. For instance, rather than listening to the professor explain again why page 35 was important, I can be reading ahead for the next class, working on other papers, polishing the story I'm working on, or entertaining you with witty blog posts. Instead, I sit there and draw useless pictures of cats and dogs in the margins of my notebook. Productive indeed.

Fridays are also kind of a false-summit for my week. (Author's note: Those of you who've never heard the term "false-summit" should try climbing to the top of the hill sometime. You'll find that you get more and more tired as you near the summit and will have several instances of thinking you're "almost there" only to find you have several hundred more feet to go. The tiny hills that make you think you're almost to the top are called "false-summits.") Everyone else enjoys Fridays because they are the indicators of care-free weekends, enjoyed with days of sleeping in and free from worries about work. My Fridays, on the other hand, are harbingers of the so-called "day of death": Saturday with a 9am 6-hour class on law.

Believe me, it sucks.

But today was at least moderately relaxing for a change. I finished my laptop-free class and hurried over to the rock gym for a quick climb. None of my usual climbing buddies were interested in joining me, so I climbed alone. Their loss, I made it to the top of a problem I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's rated a VI, which is the hardest I can do at the moment, and was the route I fell from last week. The wall and I worked together this time, though, and I was allowed by the wall to make it all the way to the top and back down (hanging upside-down, remember) without falling. I even did the route twice.

Then my hands gave out and I collapsed on the third attempt.

Day 31 of 100 - Summary: Don't try too much after a long, boring lecture.

No comments: